When members of the metastatic cancer community (metastatic patients, caregivers, family, and friends) fill out our membership registration form, they will be given the option to take a “Seat at the Bench” and lend their voices to the development of metastasis-related projects/events and/or patient-centered metastasis research grants by choosing to participate in one or both of our private directories described below.
Note: The directories are new as of May 2017 and we appreciate the patience of all of our members as we get this initiative off the ground.
Is directory participation limited to paid MRS members?
No. Only paid MRS Supporting Members (patients, caregivers, family, friends) will have access to our member benefits, but all can participate in the directories. Directory participation does not require payment for membership to enable those facing financial hardship to still actively help to progress patient-centered metastasis research. Even if you are unable to pay for membership we encourage you visit our membership page for supporting members, select an appropriate category, and fill out the member registration form which includes the option to participate in our directory(ies). You will be included in the directory(ies) regardless of whether payment is made to join the society on the following screen.
How can I use the directories?
MRS scientist/clinician members in good standing may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request contact with an appropriate Supporting Member in either of the directories below. We ask that those participating in and requesting use of our Supporting Member directories please understand and follow the terms and use policies listed below the directory descriptions.
Why do I have to be an MRS member to access the directories?
The MRS is run entirely by volunteers with the exception of one part-time employee who personally manages the directories and their use in addition to supporting our other member benefits and metastasis-related conferences. Personal management allows us to avoid creating a public directory with patient/advocate information that could potentially be shared or used inappropriately and best protects the privacy of our directory participants. Personal management also allows for better matchmaking between researchers/clinicians and members of the metastatic community, but it is time consuming. Our membership fees help to cover the costs of directory management.
Supporting members (not just patients) who are willing to communicate with MRS Scientist/Clinician members one-on-one for the purpose of grant writing and who are able to write advocate support letters are invited to opt in to the Directory for Grant Development. Some grants may require the supporting member to submit a biosketch. View a sample advocate biosketch here: sample_advocate_biosketch.pdf. Click to download a blank biosketch template: advocate_biosketch_blank_template.docx
All Supporting Members are valuable to the MRS regardless of whether they are interested in or choose to participate in grant development specifically. All Supporting Members may opt in to the general Supporting Member directory to become involved with additional opportunities to support metastasis research and treatment that are not related to grant writing described below. For example, during registration Supporting Members can indicate interest in leading/participating in advocate panel discussions at MRS conferences, help to create educational materials appropriate for patients, speak at conferences to provide the perspective of the metastatic community, etc.
PLEASE READ: Terms and Use Policies for Directories
Please be aware that the MRS is dedicated to protecting the privacy of all of its members. To help ensure appropriate use of both directories (the Grant Development Directory and the General Directory) for supporting members, we have instituted the following terms and use policies.
1) Supporting members may opt out or in to either directory at any time by emailing email@example.com.
2) Only MRS Scientist/Clinician members in good standing who can demonstrate that they have been preselected for a grant application or can provide other institutional proof that they are submitting a legitimate grant can request to be put in contact with a supporting member in the Grant Development Directory by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) MRS Scientist/Clinician members can request to be put in contact with a Supporting Member on the Supporting Member General Directory by emailing email@example.com. Requests will be handled by a representative on a case-by-case basis.
4) A supporting member’s first name, last name, and contact information will be shared with a requesting Scientist/Clinician MRS member via the MRS representative overseeing directory usage only if the Supporting Member provides consent.
5) For security, directories will NOT be stored in the MRS website or anywhere online.
6) MRS leadership may access the directories for administrative purposes, but will not share them.
7) At this time the directories only list Supporting Members who have provided consent to participate. As of now, the MRS does not keep directory of Scientist/Clinician members, and will not provide this information.
8) The two Supporting Member directories will be updated annually by a representative of the MRS.
9) Supporting Members in good standing who opt in to a directory will remain in the directory until they request to be excluded
Copyright © Metastasis Research Conferences, All Rights Reserved 2009 - 2018
Design by Rogue Surfer